Thursday, April 19, 2007

Why does the media keep emphasizing Chicago's coldness and nothing else?

Check this out:

One of my students is looking for a job next year. His wife is from the New York area.

Regarding jobs, he is looking in DC, North Carolina, New York, Philly, Boston and a few other northeastern towns (Providence, etc).

He said he was also interested in applying to Chicago, but his wife was against it, so he didn't.

Why? "Too cold!" Oh, and "I don't want to go to the midwest".

I'll respect her second point (even though it's bullshit), but too cold? Hello--I went to Boston in January 2003 and FROZE MY FUCKING ASS OFF. These stereotypes need to end. I remember my student commenting that he would MUCH rather live in Chicago than Providence or North Carolina, but he had to respect her wishes.

Although Chicago looked absolutely gorgeous in The Weather Man, I agree that it continues to be portrayed as an arctic refuge. Even the show ER, which is not filmed in the summer, always shows Chicago during its coldest seasons. Somebody needs to do something about this>

0 comments: