Friday, April 27, 2007

Is South Michigan Ave poised to develop into an awe-inspiring canyon?

Walking down Broadway St in lower Manhattan, I see one of the greatest manmade canyons yet made.

Driving down Michigan Avenue, I enjoy the famed streetwall. Then I happen upon Roosevelt and keep heading down.

What I see is many tall buildings forming the earliest portions of an imaginary canyon in my mind, reminding me of my walks along Broadway.

But this is truly quite special. If plenty of high and mid-rise buildings are built all the way from Roosevelt to Cermak and even beyond, this particular avenue will be INCREDIBLE in the future! Lets keep in mind, also, that the River North portion of MIchigan Avenue, Rush St., etc etc, all end abruptly. Clark St continues north but it curves a whole lot.

But South MIchigan Avenue is one straight road--going all the way into the 100's streets. The same goes for State Street, and Wabash, I believe.

State St is still tainted by Dearborn Park, but still has a ton of potential. Community plans call for attractive housing and boulevard development of State St all the way down to at least 63rd st.

In other words, the potential for never ending urban canyons may even be more pronounced on the south side than on the north side, with the South MIchigan Avenue canyon being the most awe-inspiring.

I can't wait to see this happen>

0 comments: