Friday, April 27, 2007

Chicago Signage

What do you people think of more signage in Chicago? I mean bigger ones that light up, not the tiny ones that are unlit and somehow wind up on an upscale store on Magnificent Mile.

This is how I see it:

-Chicago currently does not have much signage. With a few exceptions, downtown Chicago is fairly bleak, pretty much dies at night, and never seems to be as "hopping" as I would like it to be. Except for Mag Mile, which I can't afford, and Rush Street, which I and many others are too young/old to go to.

-If Chicago had more signage, MAYBE it would be less bleak, generate more foot traffic, and die less slowly at night, because it would be both a more modern and inviting place.

DISCLAIMER: NO, I am NOT saying we should turn a part of downtown into a Chicago version of Times-Square, because that's impossible on many levels. I'm just saying we should have more signage to make a great city skyline be equally great at the street level.>

0 comments: