Thursday, April 26, 2007

What neighborhood?

A bit too lazy and tired to do my own looking up, and I was wondering if anyone had any "meat" to flesh it out. Basically, I've had to travel to the post office distribution center several times (8133 S Dobson Ave) because ups IS THE F*CKING ANTICHRIST (deep calming breath *whew*), and both times I've done it I've had to take a cab (no convenient CTA access, no car). Both times, the cab drivers have been scared shitless to go down there; the first asked me "Um, so... why are you going there? Know someone?" and I responded "Just picking up a package" and he replied "Well, OK, cause it's a really rough place and I don't want to be there any longer than necessary."; the second constantly badgered me with questions like "Why couldn't you just drive?" "Why did you have to hire me to go there?"

The neighborhood didn't look that bad... Washington Park (which cabs seem to have no fear of going through) has bombed out buildings and vacant lots, which this area had very little of. I'm curious to know what neighborhood is around 8133 S Dobson and what it's actually like (because there have been some cabbies scared to go through Hyde Park... weirdos).>

0 comments: