Thursday, April 26, 2007

Chicago: beyond comparison?

First, let me promise I will not mention or refer to that other city. Honest.

Second, I know I run the risk of being repetitive. Shit, I AM repetitive (you gotta know your own faults. I do).

Third, I will take this one in a different and hopefully new direction.

And fourth, I'll keep it brief (brevity not being one of my strong suits).

So here it is:

Generally speaking, when does a city reach a point in its development where it has arrived to the degree that comparisons are totally unnecessary?

Specifically, of course, the question obvioiusly is: Hasn't Chicago reached that point where comparisons with other cities is quite....well....pointless?

To me, as a native who has seen a great city only grow greater and create a unique and intriguing urban landscape, the answer is a resounding "YES!"

I will further support my argument by the knowledge I have of what other Chicagoans think of our city, the feelings of non-Chicagoans that I know have about it, the way the city is spoken of by people in so many prominent fields (entertainment, sports, culture, etc.) in our nation, and also by the work I have done in Chicago tourism.

When you see how people are drawn to our city and how the city can continue to grow and thrieve, there is no need to compare it with other places. This is a city busy being itself, not seeking comparisions....and that feeling comes from how its own citizens (as well as people from other places) view it as a special, special place. I can't see myself comparing Chicago to other cities because what we have here is so very special.>

0 comments: