Saturday, May 5, 2007

Chicago Nightlife

Someone had a post about Chicago nightlife that was locked, so I thought I would give my opinion. As one who had fun in college and mid 20s before moving to the burbs, Chicago nightlife is good. Those who say there is nothing to do are nuts. Is it unbelievable like in places like NYC, South Beach, L.A., San Fran, or Vegas, of course not, but it is by far lame.

My hangout in the late 90s was Wicker Park. It has really changed, both for the good and bad, but it is still a great place to hang out.

I went to Loyola up in Edgewater(okay you can call this neighborhood boring because, well nothing is here except condo and apartments). I dated a girl that went to Depaul and was down in Lincoln Park alot. My hang out and still hangout when in the city is Joe's on Weed. Im a big Illini fan and they have a big Illini base at Joe's. Clark and Southport have lots to do as well. Not a big fan though of Lincoln Park. Guess I was never that "cool LP guy that looks like every guy." You know the black Leather Coat, sweater, etc.

Spent many days in Wriggleville as well, between Belmont and Addison always a big crowd getting into the bars.
Still like to venture downtown on Rush and Division. I know it is tourist, but hey, I met my wife at the basement of Mothers. Also love to sit outside, eat some great Italian food at Carmines and people watch.

My favorite bar is probably not a bar much know about in the city, it is called Teasers and is on the northwest side on Higgins near Harlem. It is just a simple bar where one can relax and drink beer.

In the suburbs, Schaumburg is just too overcrowded with the 20-22 year olds. Naperville has the same problem with the Universtiy.
My wife and I like a chain near us called the Fox and Hound in Aurora. WHy? Well it is really nothing flashy(in a shopping mall), but what we love is the food, the beers, and the fact that the two of us and friends can sit in a booth and hear each other.

But if a younger and single person would have a far better time in the city.>

0 comments: