Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pictures of streetscape in new River North

I have a selfish request. I wonder if anyone in the forum who has a digital cam and enjoys taking pictures of our fair city either (1) has very recent pictures of River North or (2) wouldn't mind taking them and sharing them with the forum.

Last time I was in Chi I didn't get a chance to walk through that district, and I'm wondering how much it has changed with all the condo development. How does the streetscape look on State Street and Huron, and the other corners where highrises have gone up? Has street life been enhanced?

Despite poor design, I'm of the understanding that most if not all of these new River North towers address the street in an adequate way with retail and windows and often pleasant facades. Is this correct? No 'towers on a pedestal with excessive blank walls marring the streetscape.

The Pinnacle, which has in some ways been rightly criticized by some forumers looks to have a very nice street-level facade. The Gothic arch windows and massing is a treat for the street. The Benardin looks to be the same way.

What do more experienced posters think? How much if at all have these towers enhanced the street life of River North, one of Chicago's great pedestrian neighborhoods?

My last memory of River North was walking back to the Loop from a large Italian restaurant in the western part of it. I was impressed with the new elegant townhouses that graced the streets over there. I was the only one in the group who knew my way around the city, and I thus I deliberately took a circuitous route back to the downtown hotel so that I could take it all in.

Some pictures to whet my appetite>

0 comments: