Saturday, April 28, 2007

Best buildings in the suburbs

I'm relatively new to the forum, so I'm not sure if this topic has been posted yet. I thought it might be appropriate, since some of us are suburbanites (whether by choice or not) and some of us have been occasionally surprised by some of the quality buildings outside city limits.

In terms of best office buildings, I can think of the following as at least contenders: the 3Com midwest regional HQ by Valerio Dewalt Train, Oakbrook Terrace Tower (Jahn), the so-called "N" building in Naperville, that is now occupied by Laidlaw (also Jahn), the old Halo headquarters in Naperville (yet again, Jahn, does anyone know who if anyone occupies this since Halo went under?)

I also like the Tellabs HQ along I-88 (here's hoping the company becomes as solid as their buliding), and the building in Downers Grove that was the former HQ of Spiegel ( I believe--it used to have a Spiegel sign on it). The half-vacant Lucent Technologies buildings are rather interesting, although their techi-ness may seem like tackiness to some.

I have never seen the McDonalds HQ up close, but from pictures it seems quite distinguished, unlike the Sears HQ, which despite being designed by Perkins and Will, seems very banal. I also like the Allstate HQ on I-90--it has sleek corporate power written over it.

The BP Amoco research facility in Warrenville looks interesting with its new atrium, but I haven't seen it up close so I can't say for sure.

That's all I can think of right now.>

0 comments: