Saturday, April 28, 2007

Had access to a car yesrday

So yesterday very early evening a friend and I had access to a car. It was the most I have driven a in literally years. The route I took was Belmont and Sheridan in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, up Sheridan all the way through the rest of Chicago and up through the North Shore on Sheridan along the Lakefront or within a block or two.

What a scenic drive that was. There are good suburbs! The North Shore suburbs are the exact opposite of the sprawl exurbs such as Schaumburg. They are beautiful and seemingly perfect. Granted they appeared to also be extremely wealthy.

These towns or cities all had nice Metra train stations right along their extremely cute and walkable downtowns right near the lakefront. It is the longest stretch of train oriented, wealthy, beautiful and old fashioned stretches of suburbia I have ever seen. I was very impressed though I don't think I will ever be able to afford them. Now that is what I call a suburb - no problem with those type of suburbs. I went through Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winneka, and I forget after that but the niceness went on for miles and miles. The first four I listed were extremely nice, pretty much nicer than any other stretch of suburbs I have seen.

I also went to Ft. Sheridan the old military base being turned into residential. That was also cool as the barracks are now condos. It was very unique. On my drive to Ft. Sheridan I diverted into downtown Winneka and Highland Park. Again suburbia perfected.

Somehow I made it to a highway which eventually led to 90/94 to Chicago. We got off at the Peterson exit and drove to Lincoln Ave and proceeded south on Lincoln. Peterson ave is condo construction ave. Must be the proximity and easy access to the highway. Anway, Lincoln Ave and Peterson area also have a ton of infill construction too. Lincoln Ave is one picture perfect urban street especially the further south you go.

Well that was my adventure with an automobile. Exciting wasn't it? And I'm sober right now, lol.

Next up in the near future. A walk from the Loyola stop on the Redline in Rogers Park to the Granville neighborhood stop in Edgewater. I was very pleasantly impressed and it was a three hour wonder around with many cigarretes and coffee on a warm, mid 50's temp winter Saturday.>

0 comments: