Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Skyscraper Sway

I was wondering whether anyone had data regarding skyscraper sway in Chicago. As in, how much does the Sears Tower, the Hancock, or my humble Marina City abode dance around in a stiff wind?

Having only lived at MC a month, you can definitely tell the building moves, if not feel it. Little pinging noises just every now and then come from the window casing or balcony door jamb, just regularly and loudly enough to know it isn't the wind. If you put your back to the interior of the central core at the top floor (61/the roofdeck), you can feel a definite, though slight, jerky movement. A fellow I ran into on the roof tonight remarked on it, which got me wondering about how far it's supposed to move. I'm guessing at most only 4 inches or so. Anyone know?

I WILL say that if only four inches, a little goes a long way. The day last week when the weather finally broke it was a very windy morning. Waiting for my laundry I killed some time on the roofdeck and felt almost seasick.>

0 comments: