Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Dear America: Surprised you came

Dear America,

I'm surprised you showed up here on the Chicago forum. I suspected you think the forum, like the city, goes into a deep freeze in mid-November and, with luck, starts to emerge from the cold and snow in April.

And yet our temperatures throughout December had vast periods in the high 50's.....and none of the natives were the least bit surprised. My family did some last minute holiday shopping at an outdoor mall....and some folks were out there without coats. That might have been a bit much for me, but the weather was delightful...as it has been plenty of time. We've gotten out a lot and enjoyed the outdoors this December (as with many Decembers in the past).

Next week is Christmas. Will it snow? Probably not. I haven't checked the forecast, but I virtually can't even remember the last time it snowed on Christmas....perhaps it was back when we went over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house.

January is coming up. Do I suspect cold weather? Sure. Sometimes we get a two week chill in mid-January where bundling up is a necessity. But the norm tells me that by Feruary, the extended cold is unlikely.

Major snow, bitter cold...they happen, sure, but with a regularlity that a lot of you outsiders would be surprised how short. Hibernation in the winter is unnecesary when there are usually lots of nice days out there.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this. Outsiders won't believe me. And even some Chicagoans will complin plenty about winter. But for most of us, the inconvenience is not huge, the good weather exceeds the bad, we go about our lives most days like we do in other seasons....and we put up with that heavy snow and bitter cold when it happens, knowing it is not the norm.

So, believe what you want. As for me (no lover of heavy snow or extreme cold), I plan to enjoy this winter in Chicago like I have most...with not that much concern for weather.

I hope that does not disappoint the Arctic landscape people lying in the sun thinks is the definitive Chicago in the winter months.

Seasons greetings!>

0 comments: