Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Printers' Row Book Fair!

So - did anyone go this year?

Books about Chicago history and architecture are apparently in vogue now, so there was a wide selection. Last year, I got a 310-page guide to the Columbian Exposition, printed 1892, for $20. (Its binding was damaged - easily fixed for another 25$)

This year, I picked up a large volume from Rizzoli (who makes expensive coffeetable books) called "The Sky's The Limit". It was printed c. 1990 and has 2-3 pages each on 115 Loop buildings with full color photographs and lengthy descriptions. They aren't the common photos available on the Net, either. This was $48, in good condition.

All in all, a fun trip for me. Revolution Bookstore was selling some Chinese Revolution posters, so I was tempted to buy a 5-foot-wide Chairman Mao, but it was packed up before I got back to the booth.

On a side note: I took a few minutes to climb the tower of Dearborn Station. You can only get to the third floor, where there is a landing. Beyond that is either a "locked at all times" gated 3rd floor, or a ladder/trapdoor to ascend higher in the tower. The whole thing gave me a cool/creepy vibe. Anyone know any more about this?>

0 comments: