Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Any thoughts on Jesse Jackson, Jr. vs. Mayor Daley?

The heat is building up, and Jesse Jackson, Jr. is really dishing it out. Does anybody have any predictions for the future, or thoughts about Jackson?

I don't know what to make of this guy. All he does is criticise Daley, but I would like to get an idea how he would like to run the city. All I know, so far, is that he is against Daley's recent slew of scandals and he supports 15% affordable housing throughout the city.

But really, there are only about 3 things I can say about this guy, from what I know:

1) He wants to advance his career
2) He wants to help African Americans
3) He wants to build Peotone.

#1: whatever
#2: certainly an important and noble cause, but I think that is just one of MANY, MANY aspects of a Mayor's job. A Mayor must run a whole city--including attracting both national and international business, campaigning with Federal officials for funding, improving city services, schools, fighting crime, etc. Not to mention the key things that matter to the modern city (which Daley has a good handling of), ie making the city fun, attractive, entertaining, and a cultural hub. Where does Jesse Jackson, Jr. stand on these issues? Luckily Jackson's family, like Daley's, has a lot of clout. But how would Jackson use it?

#3: ptooey! YUCK! Okay, I'm not against Peotone, but I'll be damned if the Mayor of Chicago puts the interests of his buddies in the south suburbs over the interests of his own city. Does this mean he would put the brakes on he O'Hare expansion? Definitely concerning....

The other question is, if the guy runs, is he likely to beat Daley?

With what I know now (this is not to say my opinion wouldn't change if I learned more about where Jackson stands), I overwhelmingly would support Daley--I like his style, and I think he cares about the city very deeply. I also think that a certain amount of politican "favoritism" is inevitable, but the guy gets things done, and that's more than you can say about 99% of politicians on this earth.>

0 comments: