Monday, April 16, 2007

Nimbyism in Rogers Park/Broken Heart Rogers Park

An Open Letter to the Public was posted in Rogers Park in regards to the development of 7015 n sheridan, only in RP would this happen, nimbyism runs high there, i wonder who would win as the most nimbyist neigborhood in chicago? well i think RP would be in the top five easy,
What follows below is craig's response to the open letter on his Broken Heart of Rogers Park blog, a great nimbyist website, but craig does try to improve the neigborhood and he has some accomplishments,

The building in question is a turn of the century ho hum old house that is half brick half not, and i have no objection to its demolition, ha! bet you didnt see that coming, its right on the lake, and what is proposed is street level retail, four residential condos, ?30 parking spots (i think the owner is just trying to get as much money out of the property in its current zoning), a top floor restaurant, which i think is fucking cool, 26 of the 30 spots would be rentals, she wants a zoning change so that the building can be 7 stories high, 79 feet high, very short by our standards, ofcourse the RP contingency is in an uproar over this "dangerous precedent". There is a picture of the project that can be seen on the overhead projector on the Broken Heart of Rogers Park Blog, sorry i havent learned how to post pictures yet, but i will, its actually a nice looking building and I hope it goes through

The contingency feels that sheridan rd is a residential street and that this is too much retail, especially the rooftop restaurant, because the plot is inbetween two apt buildings, personally i dont see what the beef is, ITS SHERIDAN ROAD for godsake, not some small side street, just wondering what you guys thinks





The letter should read...

To my dearest friends and neighbors of mine,

My name is Connie Abels and I am the queen of the cheap, re-habbed condo conversions in the 49th Ward. I also own 7015 North Sheridan Road. This property at 7015 North Sheridan Road is a single family home I let go to hell. I let it fall apart. I never bothered fixing it up and now it has deteriorated to trailer trash status.

I neglected this single family home so bad and for so long, now I'm going to tear it down.

But my close friends and good neighbors, have I got great news for you! I got a super idea one night after watching a wicky loud band play at the Morseland Night Club. I saw people who were foolish enough to pay $5 and 10 dollars just to get in the door and eat (hee-hee). I said right then, that's the business for me.

I'm going to open up this roof-top restaurant (hee-hee) 79 feet high in the air. I figured I could get into the liquor selling business too. The word on the street is, selling booze is like printing money. Plus, real estate is on the down-slide. The bubble is nearly bursting and I need to find a new career, pronto fast.

Plus, plus, being a smart business woman, I picked this location because it's no where near the Special Service Area #24 tax boundaries. Who wants to get screwed paying into that boon-doggle tax? Not me. Besides, did you see the way they treated me at the Morse Avenue Streetscape meeting in Novermber 2005. Those ace Morse Avenue Streetscape committee members couldn't even get me #@$-%#@# planters. Pardon my french.

Plus, plus, plus, I'm such a great neighbor and am doing this all for you. I am building 30 parking spots too. Parking spots are so hard find and I want to help my neighbors out by renting 26 of them to you. Market value of course. I haven't worked out the details yet, but 26 spots is good to rent, right? Let's see, if my math is right, that leaves 4 parking spots for my cookie cutter condo buyers and 26 to rent out to John Q. Public. That's 30 parking spots. Who needs parking for all my restaurant (hee-hee) workers and patrons. What am I going to do about the ground-floor commercial tenants? They can find spots on Sheridan Road. That's if they don't get rear-ended finding a spot on Sheridan Road (hee-hee). Traffic gets heavy sometimes in the morning hours and sometimes in the evening hours for some reason.

Please, please, please, please, come with an open mind. Don't believe everything you read on the Hell Hole. I see a silver lining in this property I let go to the toilet and I will show you all the plans on Wednesday night.

So, here's the deal, take it or leave it. I'm asking for a R3-5 because knowing the zoning rules. I can about get away with anything I want after I get that zoning R3-5.

Then I can say...."Screw you neighbors, I'm doing what I want!"

Signed, Connie D. Abels - The citizen. Not Connnie Abels-The realtor.>

0 comments: