Monday, April 16, 2007

Detroit and the Chicago model

I have been visiting Detroit threads and see a lot of new development going on in that city. It appears that several new neighborhoods are coming up. Personally, I think Detroiters don't have the same obsession nor high standards for architecture that Chicagoans have, but it's also a city that needs whatever it can get (at this point).

A lot of new single-family homes are coming up; they look WAY more suburban than Chicago's new ones--in the sense that they are much farther apart from eachother and they seem to have front-loading garages with driveways, whereas Chicago generally sticks to the tried-and-true rearload alley system (which is now officially part of the new Zoning Ordinance).

But I have to wonder. Do you think Detroit will look to Chicago and what it's doing in its neighborhoods as a model of its own redevelopment? I only ask this because outside of Chicago, Detroit is my favorite midwestern city and I think it is easily one of the coolest and hippest places in the midwest!

What do you guys think Chicago has to offer as a lesson to Detroit?>

0 comments: