Monday, April 16, 2007

Chicago's MISTAKES!!!

Hi, I'm a lover of Chicago and NYC and a total urbanist living in Washington, DC (also a VERY well planned city) who ultimately wishes to settle in Chicago thus I have been reading up a lot on recent developments. I have been reading this forum for months but only now did I create a membership.

Here's my problem with Chicago:
I am about 2 hrs from starting an Amtrak journey to NYC, where I'll be kickin' it in a hotel in Times Square. I realize that NYC is 100% committed to transit-oriented development, whereas Chicago is like 70% or so. Why is Chicago holding back?
I know that in recent years a lot of DISGUSTING suburban-looking strip centers have popped up in the city, although the City Govt has done a good job of curtailing this form of development with its new zoning laws, but how do we know these zoning laws will be enforced? Sure, a lot of new developments look nice (North Avenue collection, the designs of new shopping centers in the south loop, the redevelopment of Stateway Gardens, etc) but I still think Chicago thinks it's more car dependent than it really is (all those off-street parking requirements).
For example, I was driving on the ever-so neglected south side a few months ago and noticed brand new strip malls (still under construction) on 79th st, with front-sided parking and all, right next to the 79th street red line station. What is up with that?
Also, Smithfield properties, the same company that created that retarded front-parking strip mall on Milwaukee Ave (right in the middle of a perfect urban boulevard!!!), is creating a shopping center on Armitage and California (see the City of Chicago website for more info) being designed by Booth Hansen. I have not been able to find designs, but I know that it will consist of 3 buildings and 50 parking spaces. This, in the middle of historic Logan Square! I am worried about how that shopping center will look.

I guess the point of all of this is that Chicago, one of the leading centers of architecture in the world, the new headquarters of the Congress for the New Urbanism, is still giving in to suburban standards (sometimes). Last time I rode through Brooklyn or Queens, NY I almost NEVER saw anything suburban looking. Why can't Chicago do the same and 100% commit itself to Transit-oriented development like it did before 1950? Already I'm reading about Walmarts, more Best Buys, and more Targets on the way--I think I'm going to puke!

BTW, did you read the recent Tribune article where the CTA claimed if it does not get more funding it will downsize itself to a rush-hour ONLY service? What the f*** is happening here? I need more input from people who are currently living in Chicago and seeing this crap with their own two eyes!>

0 comments: