Monday, April 16, 2007

Chicago's Homeless Problem

Is there anything that can be done about it? If there is I really hope we do it soon. I recently went to NYC for the first time and was amazed by the fact that the whole time I was there I was approached once by someone asking for money. I live 4 blocks south of the Hancock. If I were to walk down Michigan those 4 blocks I would bet I would see atleast 5 people on just the one side of the street begging. It does nothing for the city except make it look like crap. How can we allow people to sleep and beg on one of the world's most famous streets? What do you think visitors think of our city when they see this? When every block they are walking by someone sitting or laying on the sidewalk?

Why is NYC, a city much larger then Chicago willing to atleast make sure this does not happen in there downtown area but Chicago seems like they can care less. The downtown area is the heart of this city. It is the place where tourist flock and spend money. It is also the place where business men and women from around the world come to conduct business. We do not need this in this area. Residence of downtown should not have to walk past people begging for money or sleeping on the sidewalk on the way to there door every single day. I'm am really thinking about writing letters to my alderman about this problem. From where I sit I really do see this as a big problem. Anyone who can't really needs to spend a little more time downtown.>

0 comments: