Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Is anybody out there on sensory over-load?

I ask this as a legitimate phycological issue:

IS ANYBODY OUT THERE ON SENSORY OVER-LOAD?

Let me explain: we come to this Chicago forum in numbers that outstrip other urban forums with a passion for our city and its development. I know in my case, my interest in a growing and evolving Chicago existed long before there was an internet to share my interest with others.

And for so much of Chicago's incredible growth, it was a joy to follow the step-by-step progression of a city on the move in a positive direction, a city that added to its legendary attractions with more and more quality development.

But today, the joy (though there) is being tempered. The problem I'm hitting today (which I honestly believe is a watershed moment in Chicago history) is that the city's transformation has lost for the individual the ability to tract it, stay on top of it, understand it.

There are so many plans for blockbuster plans for huge projects in the city, including two towers exceeding 2000 feet smack on the previously hands-off lakefront. Buildings pushing or exceeding 1000 feet are planned on and near the Mag Mile, in Illinois Center, the Loop, the riverfront. Meanwhile, the number of high rise residential units blanketing the extended downtown area are mind boggling. None of us will question that if were to see a picture of the South Loop skyline in 5 years, we'd barely recognize it.

Exciting, yes. But, at least to me, a little disconcerting as well. I can't stay on top of it, I can't conceptualize it all, and I certainly can't digest it enough to know where is all going and whether what we have afterwards is the same type of city we so love today. It's like, I hate to say it, there's do damned much for one person to take in. I read only a portion of the articles out there about the city in transformation, compared to the close to 100% in the past.

ON ANY LEVEL, IS ANYBODY ELSE EXERIENCING THE SAME FEELINGS I APPARENTLY AM HAVING?>

0 comments: