Saturday, April 14, 2007

Greatest structure ever built in Chicago

Well, there's been a lot of serious talk (city vs. suburbs, big-box ordinance, everybody sweating this new Kelleher guy, etc) lately, so I thought why don't we all relax and have some fun?

What is the single greatest building EVER built, architecturally, in Chicago? This can be ANYTHING--whether it has been demolished or still stands. It can be from any era in Chicago's history, and it can be of any size. From a little wood-frame house to a 100-story skyscraper, it's all up to your opinion.

I'll start by saying that although I haven't seen ALL of Chicago, I'll have to say my favorite work of architecture is the John Hancock Center. I know, it's an obvious answer. I like the prewar stuff, but this building just has everything that a true Chicago-ite highrise junky like myself could possibly want. If Aqua turns out like its model (or perhaps if 400 N LSD is ever built) that could change. But for now, JHC is Chicago's greatest architectural achievement>

0 comments: