Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Why do some blacks hate Chicago?

When I lived in Chicago, I had a black friend who grew up in a rich family in Beverly, and I asked him where he was going to look for his job training. I wanted to come to Chicago (but ended up in DC), and he said he was considering Chicago, too, but was more interested in going to Atlanta.

When I asked why, he said "the white people are trying to kick the black people out of this city. It's better for a black person in Atlanta". He had also told me that, growing up in Chicago, he was often pulled over by police and felt that he had been treated unfairly

More recently, I met a professional black dude at a party, and he was also from Chicago. I talked to him about the Chi and he said that he liked it, but he also seemed to harbor a resentment towards Chicago. I could just tell by the way he was talking. Yet he grew up in a good neighborhood and had no real problems.

Sure, Chicago has its obvious divisions, as discussed in another thread. But I have visited most other cities in this country, and to be frankly honest I don't see any difference. All cities have black and white neighborhoods. Can somebody elaborate what it is about Chicago in particular that has a subset of black people very angry?>

0 comments: