Saturday, April 21, 2007

Moving to Chicago & I Need Your Help In Selecting A Neighborhood

Well if all goes well I plan to move to Chicago by Mid-June. Currently my condo is in escrow, and hopefully it will close in a two weeks with you problems.

Now I have been looking at different condos around Chicago, but I'm not sure of many of the neighborhoods. I lived in Chicago back in 1990, but I don't have a clue what many of the areas I've looked in are like. This is where I need your help.

My plan right now is go hopefully go back to school, and I want to only work part time(I hope). With the profit I'll make from this crazy market in LA, I can't afford to put it back into another place, not even a smaller 1 bedroom condo. I have a two bedroom now, and don't want to go smaller. Since I going to try and go to school, I need to keep my mortgage low. From the listing I've looked at in Chicago, I'm blowned away at some of the low prices.

Now here is the question, what would a neighborhood be like when I see a 2 bedroom 2 bath at $219,000, or a 2 bed 1 bath in the same building @ $185,000 be like. For instance this was in a area just a few doors down from Humbold Park @ 3231 W HIRSCH Unit: 4R CHICAGO, IL 60647 What is this neighborhood like? It there a main street nearby in walking distance of shopping, dinning, cafes, and coffeehouses, gym, etc.? It is a decent area where you don't have to worry about being rob for the most part? I'm not one who gets scare easy (I grew up in Watts & South Central) but I want a quiet area thats progressing. The only thing I didn't care about was the area isn't serviced by the El. I would like to find something within walking distance of the El.

I also noticed that Hyde Park had some very low prices on condos. It is truly that these condos are in the heart of Hyde Park, or do you think they are adverstised as such because they are close by? I've seen some listed as low at $160,000 for three bedrooms. I'm just a little leary that something is wrong, or the inside is thrashed.

So I would be truly grateful for your input, and suggestions of neighborhoods to look in thats decent. I will be living with my cousins out in Elgin when I fisrt arrive, but I want to move into my own place as quickly as possible.>

0 comments: