Saturday, April 21, 2007

The calm before the storm?

I visit Emporis (I applaud them for their outstanding footage of skyscraper construction in Chicago) all the time, but I feel we're in a falsely quiet time in skyscraper construction.

A lot of buildings are completed, and a lot have just started construction. Therefore, all I am seeing is caissons, dug holes, and maybe 1 or 2 stories of steel beams. On the other end of the spectrum, there are a lot of buildings that have just been completed.

It's nice to have the pics, but I find myself impatiently waiting for some of these new construction buildings to take some kind of form--so that I don't have to keep imagining how they would look in context. I can't wait till 2-3 years from now, when many will be completed and will really fill in the downtown streetscape

Anyway, just a passing thought..>

0 comments: