Friday, April 20, 2007

It scares me to say....

It scares me to say this...its pure hyberbole, Chicago hucksterism, and no doubt adds fuel to places that shouldn't be refueled.

But since it is PURE OPINION, I'll state it as such (knowing it is just my own thoughts and has no binding on others):

Chicago is on the cusp of becoming the most exciting city in the nation. If it isn't already. It absolutely boggles my mind to see the massive number of recently completed, high quality private and public sector development. Or to see that which is under construction or soon to break ground. Of the mind boggling plans that are in place to further enhance a downtown district that seems to stretch from the lake to Ashland, North to Cermak. What we have here is a wonderful state of flux, energy, transformation without parallel from coast to coast. The feeling is palitable and, although I am downtown very frequently, the excitement never goes away. Each trip in is an adventure in its own right.

That Chicago is on the rise like no other city in its central communities at this time is extraordinary. Far more so than NY, Chicago has had the land to truly redevelop its landscape during this era of enriched urbanism. That quality-of-life issues matter to Daley and company (as in: the rest of us) has produced an unprecendented metropolis that alone among American cities has created and is enhancing an exciting urban framework that offers the full range of amenities that any city could wish for in a extraordinalily user-friendly and beautiful environment.

As I said, pure hyperbole. I would NEVER have considered posting this anywhere but on the Chicago board as I posted it to share with Chicagoans and others who are here because they, too, love Chicago. You could poke holes in each and everyone of my arguments. Even successfuly If fact, I sincerely hope that you feel about your home town the way that I feel about mine....and if that means that Des Moines exceeds Chicago or other US cities in your mind, I'm happy for you. If LA is the best for you, than it is just that . But suffice it to say I was sincere....and I believe every word of it. And frankly in my posting, that's all that mattered to me. In my book, Chicago has no peer. Have a great Chicago, folks.>

0 comments: