Monday, April 30, 2007

Could Field's stand alone?

I'll ask this question, even though my knowledge of how American business works today makes me realize the answer is "NO!"

Could Marshall Field's stand on its own as its own retail chain, either composed of:

• stores in the Chicago area

-or-

• stores in the Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Twin Cities, and other current midwesern locations

????


The answer, as I said, would appear to be "no". Federated's desire to consolidate under the Macy's name allows the type of volume selling that a store structured like I suggested for Field's would not be able to underprice.

Is there a scenerio out there a that I am missing that says Field's could have made it on its own? How about a subsidiary of a larger corporation with no retail division of its own (such as when the British tobacco company, BATUS, owned the store)?

(I'm by no means suggesting that Federated would sell the property)>

0 comments: