Friday, May 4, 2007

Yet another college thread, but basketball this time!

After watching the fantastic DePaul and Norte Dame game today, and knowing the rivalry they have I had to bring up this thread. We all know that the Illini is Chicago's biggest when it comes to college athletics. U of I though is not in Chicago, so let's talk about the Chicago college teams, and let's keep it to basketball since the only Chicago area team to have football is NU, and as much as I disagree it being part of the Chi metro, NIU, just cuz it is hella close. So which is your favorite Chicago College team? Remember think in terms of basketball only. Here is my assement:

NIU: Good crowd following from what I heard, but I really don't know that much about them. Kind of heard they really suck this year.

Northwestern: Either the most exciting, or second exciting of all. First it is a BIG TEN school, probably the least exciting of the Big Ten schools, but come on, it's the Big Ten. They seem to be doing horribly. I like that they have a rivalry with Illinois and DePaul. Too bad they beat DePaul this year. Thank God Illini beat them (I'm a huge Illini fan). Has to be the most exciting place in Chicago to watch a college basketball team. Always packed, filled with students, has the basketball stadium that sure as hell makes it feel that this is a college basketball game.

Loyola: Good history and decent team. Aight conference. I think this team could do a lot and has a lot of potential. They once had a strong program, as of late they do not seem to be doing that bad. Certainly an interesting team at that. Not excatly sure how the fan following is though.

DePaul: Very good history, and in present time a medicore team. As much as I think the Big East has really put DePaul's name out there, joining them has put the program down. DePaul never really dominated Conf. USA, but they sure were always by the top. Now in the Big East they struggle. I would say the second most exciting team in Chicago, probably the favorite for many, just because of the Ray Meyer era. I feel Allstate Arena is way too big for DePaul and too far. I think a 14,000 stadium would fit in nicely in the Lincoln Park area (FYI Children's Memorial is moving to downtown, and DePaul is really looking into that!). Average attendance is about 9,000 which isn't bad for a medicore team, Allstate feels empty and is empty for two reasons, its too big for the amount of fans the school has, and way too far for students to go to. DePaul would be better off using the United Center. Also love the whole Marquette-Notre Dame rivalry. Also love it that there is absolutely no rivalry with Illinois my fav team, and that both teams have no hate towards each other cuz I know Illinois doesn't like: NU, IU, Purdue, UIC. And I know DePaul has no love for: ND, Marq., Loyola, NU. Love it that both of my teams play each other like once every two hundred years.

UIC: Not much history, but the school is still new. I also find the UIC flames very interesing for some reason. Even though they are not good, I like them. The Horizon Leauge itself is rather interesing I think. You have some historically good schools in there. From my take I think UIC is probably the third or fourth most exciting school in the Chicago area for BB.

Chicago State: Don't know enough about them to really say.

UC: Ehh I dunno.

Obviously I picked DePaul beacause I go there, but the truth of the matter is, no one dominates the state of Illinois or Chicago like the Illini do, that is truly the state of Illinois' team.>

0 comments: