Sunday, April 15, 2007

zzzzzzzz.....I'm bored with these non-Chicago places



DC is one fine city, and definitely a million times more inspiring than anything west of the Mississippi (San Francisco excepted).

I don't know, maybe its just me. Nah, it's not me. Cities without a certain urban pizazz are just plain boring. All the bike trails, beaches, gardens (all of which Chicago has a ton of, interestingly) in the world can't possibly interest a city-lover.

I like DC, but I want to see a real bustling town. There is plenty of street activity in DC--equal to Chicago, in fact. But what's up with the lack of grit? I want people's conversations to be temporarily interrupted by indecent roars (the L), I want someone to slip on some ice and spill coffee on someone. I want NOT to be able to see the sun because the buildings around me are too obnoxiously tall.

I don't know. I love riding the L and literally being 5 feet away from a woman watering her plants from her 3rd story apartment. I want to drive down Western Avenue and pass an auto dealership, a bowling Alley, some 1920's brick buildings, a gas station, and then hang left and suddenly gaze upon a wall of 3-5 story buildings that go on into the horizon (save for a few vacant seedy lots that are awaiting interest from developers).

I'm not saying DC lacks any of these elements--to some degree they exist here. But this experience does not exist abundantly anywhere (outside of NY) in the US but El Chi.

All of this crap is boring. I don't want to drive on I-95 and see another forest or field. And I'm tired of everyone talking about the Tysons Corner Mall as if it's the 2nd coming of Christ. Even Wisconsin Avenue is getting old...

I want Chicago!!>

0 comments: