Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Chicago is a true World Class City....

Well just got back from London and had a great time. I have now been to all the "world cities" excpet for Tokoyo. London was the last one I had not been too. My wife and I always have a great time when traveling, but we also have a realization that we indeed live in(now were out in the burbs, so near) a World Class city in Chicago.

This is not a city vs. city thread, but rather an appreciation for a city(for some reason???) is waaaaaaay overlooked by the media and tourists(even though the numbers are getting higher and higher). As for world class status, here is my case:

Downtown/City Centre- Obviously Chicago competes with all the world cities with its dense downtown, foot traffic in the loop and mag mile, Millineium Park. SKyscrapers, well no argument is needed for this

Transportation-Just getting back from London, the Underground is by far the best public transportation I have ever been on, ever. Now the el is very effecient and along with NYC, 24 hours.

Shopping- I dont care what anyone says, Chicago's mag mile is the best shopping street in the world. Been to Rodeo, 5th Ave, Oxford, etc. Michigan Ave wins by a long shot. Once again, IMO

Restaraunts- I know I am biased, but I think Chicago has the best restaraunts when it comes to quality and price in the world. After going to Europe where service is, well, not so good, you really really appreciate the Chicago restaraunts

Museums- I think everyone is in agreement that we can compete on all fronts with museums

Parks/Lakefronts- Grant, Millineum, Lake Shore Drive, beaches, lakefront

Tourist attractions- Sears/Hancock observations, Mich Ave, Museums, Navy Pier. Millineum Park

Nightlife - Rush in Division always has great foot traffic, espeically for tourists or those from the burbs coming in for a Friday/Saturday night

Theatre- Mama Mia, Wicked, Mounty Pythons, Chicago Theatre, Producers, etc

Sports - Come on, we have 2 baseball teams, football, hockey, basketball, MLS, Chicago Wolves

Last, but not least one of the best and prettiest layouts of a city with the lakefront, parks, skyline.

After just traveling to London and NYC what we are missing more than anything to me is some type of Square like Times in NYC or LIecester in London. On a Tuesday night in London on Liecester Square the foot traffic was absolutely amazing. There were more people in one area of London than I have ever seen on the streets of Chicago.

So I would say some type of square with restaraunts, theatres, etc.

The only other thing hurting Chicago IMO is the weather, but hey, London's weather might be worse with all the rain so who knows.

So what do others think? Do you think you live in or near a World Class city or do you take it as a Great American City?

I obviously believe it to be World Class.>

0 comments: